Thursday, August 8, 2013

Living Free or Choosing the Settled Life

By Linda Grupp Boutin

Sometimes Kindu lies on the floor striking the pose of a lion; smaller of course, but fierce and tough and unpredictable. He makes me think along those lines with the regal uplift of his chin and the contemplation in his deep, dark brown eyes. At times Star looks a bit like a deer and other days they might both remind me of foxes. Friends have described them as all of these other animals.

Our basenji boy joined me tonight as I enjoyed a special by Nature on PBS. It explored the true story behind the "Born Free" book and movie released in the early 1960s. I turned 10 the year the movie was released and wished so much that I could go and see it at the theater. Alas, I never got to see it on the big screen, but I read about the story and came to love Elsa through the National Geographic magazines that arrived in our mailbox each month. This was the first magazine I came to love as a child. Great photographs, interesting stories and travel around the world, all included in one gorgeous publication, usually accompanied by a large, folded map of some part of the globe.

My dogs were not born free and have lived their whole lives in a comfortable domesticated state. Star came into this life on a cold January night in a shower lined with newspapers and softened by blankets and towels.
Star, between her brothers, with Mom Noelle
I know they would like experiencing the freedoms of living without boundaries, but there would be much from our life they would miss as well. Soft beds, regular meals and ice cookies spring to mind. Although Kindu is more impetuous and willful, I believe that Star would be well able to fend for herself living wild.


She has the heart and instincts of a hunter. Nothing is missed by her watchful eyes and she catches on quickly to new situations and circumstances. While Kindu jumps in with four feet flying, Star assesses the situation then decides how she will react. Both strategies have advantages and pitfalls, but I must agree with Star that a measured approach is often best. People tend to choose different strategies for how to try new things too.

I just read an article about dogs and how the bond with their owners shares much in common with how people bond with their infants. When we picked up Kindu at just 8 weeks old, he epitomized the image of a confident pup. Over the months I learned from the breeder that his puppy name at his birth house was "Truck," but I believe that "18-Wheeler" might have been more appropriate. Obviously the breeder was thinking of a "Mack Truck" when she named this basenji boy!

We decided to share our new pup with our family, so rather than driving straight home after we picked up Kindu, we headed over to my brother's house. My 13-year-old nephew, Alex, connected immediately with the pup and rough-and-tumble was the name of their game. Soon they were skittering across the kitchen tile floor, grabbing, chasing and teasing one another. Even 5 years later the two of them have a great time when they get together.
Alex and Star resting up after a play session


So I must admit I'm pretty tightly bonded with my dogs. They bring comfort and joy and a healthier lifestyle into our lives. Some researchers say canines and humans have worked and lived together for over 15,000 years. I don't know about that, but I am grateful for my 4-legged friends that have been a part of my life since I was small.


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad Kindu and Star came to bond with such great masters. You give them certain boundaries and rewards, and the result is a healthy relationship of love and respect. Sound familiar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very familiar! I must admit I never really thought of it that way, but what a role model to live up to!

      Delete
  2. So now I have that song running through my head... "Born Free, as free as the wind blows, as free as the grass grows..." I believe Andy Williams sang it.

    I read the thick hard covered book and actually tore out the photos and glued them to my bedroom wall. Beautiful story. I think there was a TV series too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I think there was a TV series I used to watch...hadn't thought about the song because the focus of the program was the story behind how Elsa lived. Loved that song though!

      Delete
  3. My nickname for Star is Skin, and my nickname for Kindu is Bull, I know that I am far closer to Kindu than Star. But if anything was to happen to either of them I would really miss them. It's nice that Basenji can live to 15 and sometimes I would love it if they could live longer, but only God knows the real date for our pets and ourselves. Someday I just love being the master as Kindu walks with me, and someday I really wished he would just behave. But I bet we feel that way about our kids too. For us the basenji are our kids. Thanks Linda

    ReplyDelete