Monday, August 26, 2013

Baby Girl

By Linda Grupp Boutin
Alex with newborn Rudy and Star

Star has been changing lately. It seems she finally accepts that she has a place in the pack and a forever home. She always claims the spot in the middle of the loveseat between Gary and me. Depending upon how he feels, Kindu may sleep on Gary's lap or take up most of the couch, legs fully extended. He can be the epitome of the independent basenji, aloof and perfectly happy to sit by himself. 

Our basenji girl prefers to be with someone, preferably touching in some way. Of all the curly-tailed basenjis I've shared my home with, Star is the only one that I have nicknamed Curly. And she loves it when I call her this or sing a song about her. Sometimes the name gets stretched to Curly Girly and that's when she acts especially cute. But by far and away, she loves to be called Baby Girl. And I like calling her that too.

Dog trainers advise owners to name their dogs one-syllable words. Simple, concise and easy to call, like Star. Nicknames don't come up because you aren't supposed to use any other name but their usual name. However, basenjis are smart enough to respond to many words, including nicknames. So Star and Kindu know many different names and can often read my mood by which name comes to mind first.

I love seeing Star finally finding confidence and her place in our little pack. She is relaxed these days, often dancing around the house, play bowing to get Kindu to play, just enjoying life. I've seen this happen before with other dogs we've rescued. It is almost like she realizes that her life has taken a turn for the good and embraces the joy in it.

I look forward to a day when I will go to my forever home with the Lord. I understand and share in the joy Star feels as she dances freely and happily around our home. Some days I dance in the joy of that same knowledge, knowing there is a place where I am accepted by Our Father just the way I am; sins, scars, bruises and all. I hope some time in your life that you can share in the joy of this knowledge too!


8 comments:

  1. You are off to a great start for the year, Linda! Not that you faithful bloggers at AWF took any real time off this summer, but I just want to cheer you on as everything gets started. Loved the last paragraph...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Traci, I struggled a bit about how to close this post, then Pastor Brian inspired me yesterday with the perfect ending!

      Delete
  2. All the pets I have ever had (2 dogs and now 2 cats) had nicknames! When I was a teenager, one of my dogs would come when I made a particular vocal sound. Dogs want to be wanted- just like people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so true, Star really wants to be wanted and I love using nicknames and cuddling her.

      Delete
  3. Very nice post. I always have had multiple names for my animals. These names were usually an indicator of my emotional state at the time of usage, more than whatever the animal may have been up to. They always seemed to understand and accept each name with unconditional love. Pets are the best medicine for what ails us all.

    Doug (using Traci's account by mistake)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, thanks for sharing. I know that pets in my life are excellent medicine and bring laughter and joy in our lives.

      Delete
  4. Well maybe her name is star, but to me she is called Skin. She mold herself along my leg as I type on my laptop. She always needs and needs more pets, never enough pets for her. but it's better than being bit. I'll take a skin approach to a bite any day. Gary

    ReplyDelete