Monday, September 22, 2014

Of Velveteen and Porcupines, Critters and Ceramic Dachshunds

By Linda Grupp Boutin

Both Gary and I have been complaining about shedding of summer coats, basenjis who really need a bath, and most mysteriously why some of our kids have coats that you just want to cuddle while others have coats that make you itch. As you might expect, our basenji-girl, named Star, is smooth as silk. This is a girl who knows all about "girly girl" things including a pristine, shining, velvety fur coat.

Our basenji-boy on the other hand is nicknamed the "porcupine." His coat is rough, feels like needles against our skin, and is just the opposite of Star's. She is also much more fastidious in tending to her coat and skin than Kindu. She spends much time washing her face, checking all is in order with her tail, and looking after Kindu to keep him neat and clean as well! Much to his chagrin...

As I walked them yesterday evening, the point was brought home to me that they are indeed sight hounds as well as scent hounds. Our sidewalks are lined with rows of shrubs, that the dogs have delighted in checking
Neighborhood cat our for a stroll
out for cats and other assorted critters. Sometimes they walk right up to the shrubs and stick their noses deep inside trying to decide if an interesting animal might be hiding within. They come home covered in leaves, trimmings and cobwebs from scouting out the bushes. Much to my chagrin...  :-(


We have walked past this front door dozens of times and sometimes been greeted by the dachshund that lives inside. What Kindu never noticed before is the ceramic twin of the inhabitant that resides on the front step. Now this statue never moves, but both dogs noses told them that there was a critter nearby. Kindu spied the ceramic dog and figured that he had found his quarry.

He bounded up that step nearly pulling the leash out of my hand, then stood there stumped. His eyes told him clearly that this was another dog. And despite the short legs, this guy really stood his ground never moving a muscle when Kindu gave him a good sniff. For a full five seconds, my basenji-boy looked confused and wondered what to do next. By this point, Star stared deeply into the bushes beside the front step. Finally I understood that they both knew an animal was nearby, but couldn't see what their noses were telling them. I hustled them down the street to keep them for charging through the hedge.
Kindu relaxing after our walk


All this reminds me that sometimes I charge in not realizing that I have been duped by an optical illusion tricking me into actions that I sometimes regret. I try to keep the dogs from getting too close to unknown critters because frequently they have no idea about the consequences a fight with a cat or possum might cause them. Scratches, bites and bruises will leave my basenjis as unhappy puppies for a few days at least. This night's walk was an object lesson to me that I need to govern my passions too and keep my eyes open for the consequences of acting too fast can cause me too.

3 comments:

  1. Object lessons from our canine friends are revelant, on a positive side, they are on guard and active participants in their walk. Love how two of the same still have unique qualities, watching out for one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how they do look after one another and cover for one another, just like us!

      Delete
  2. Yep that my dog the porcupine Basenji and my soft Star as smooth as felt. They are both different in personalities and yet sometimes they are both the same. They both play the door violins (spring door stops) and in their own special way they are part of us as we live our live. We are all lucky that Linda has spent many post describing our lives with our cute and cuddly little friends.

    ReplyDelete