Monday, August 13, 2012

Big Ears


By Linda Grupp Boutin

     I want to talk a bit about ears, specifically basenji ears. Safe to say, they hear a lot more than they like to admit. Kindu never misses the sound of a nearby garage door opening. He monitors this when he is, by all appearances, sound asleep. He can discern whether it is our garage door, our neighbors’ above, our neighbors’ beside and even our neighbors’ across the street. Each door owns its characteristic squeaks and our boy has memorized the sounds. Sometimes his head shoots up listening carefully, other days he just opens an eye, quickly returning to his dreams. However one sound is never missed by our basenji-boy: that is the sound of our Toyota Camry, distinct to his sharp ears from every other Toyota. Why this interest? Because that’s the sound he expects to hear when Gary returns, always cause for rejoicing.
     I love being greeted by my dogs. Their joy at my appearance never fails to bring a smile no matter how exhausted I might be. Of course, that does not mean that they will use those ears of theirs to listen any better when I ask…or command…or yell…what I want them to do. Kindu is the most tone deaf when he is nipping Star’s ears. The louder I tell him to stop, the more those huge ears of his seen stuffed with cotton.
     Makes me think of myself a bit when God is trying to get through to me. Just when I need to hear the Holy Spirit most, that’s when I close my ears and stop listening. Take this post for instance, I had a clear idea of what to say last Sunday and here it is Saturday night and I’m just typing now and haven’t yet published a week later.
     Thankfully last Sunday on another, more important, matter I not only heard, but also followed through with action. Much to my delight I was provided with instant validation that made a difference in another person’s life. That’s the thing that is so affirming: when you listen, hear, act and see immediate results. It’s like when I entice Kindu or Star with positive rewards (think bacon) and when they respond, they decide listening to me might be worth it. Funny how God provides these small examples of proper behavior for us then waits on us to get His point.
     So back to those ears, Kindu’s are the largest I’ve seen on any basenji. When he would go through one of his growing spurts as a pup, one ear or the other would droop over waiting to be grown into. As soon as he filled out, both ears stood up listening to hear every sound. So let me ask you, how well are your ears working? Have you been following the urgings of the Spirit or those of the flesh? When those promptings come to smile, converse, bypass your own feelings to center on another’s, did you hear and follow through with a God-inspired action? If you did, then I know that you understand the pleasure of a positive reward (think chocolate).

5 comments:

  1. cute!! Abbey is NOT this way. she is 12, mind you. so when we open the front door, she wakes up and barks at US!!! of course after seeing it is us, she ducks her head and puts her ears back apologetically. quite cute. gotta love dogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew 11:15...15 He who has ears to hear,let him hear.

    Linda...I really enjoyed this. It's amazing how God used an analogy of Kindu's hearing to bring His word to us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, looks like Sunshine and his family are in the market for a new pup. their chihuahua, Canela, is a typical chihuahua: loud, yappy, and acts like she's a doberman. no matter how hard they train her, she still attacks anyone who visits, which means it's hard for me to go over :( also, since they live in an apt, they potty trained her with the mats. which i think is disgusting. they could do what my nana does and walk her or at least the grass area in front 4 times a day. anyways. they seriously regret getting her. and as much as I might not agree with this, they want to trade her in. I told them DON'T take her back to Mexico... take her to a shelter where she will be taken care of and put up for adoption... also, I recommended they look into a basenji, via your recommendation.

    Also, Abbey is getting sick, I feel. we have to give her aspirin for pain about twice a week. I seriously wonder how long she will be around. It makes me sad because she has been with us since I was 9. She's had a long life, but I know it will be hard on my family when she goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ BekahMac, so sorry to hear about Canela and the family's frustration. I too believe in outdoor potty training even though it is sometimes hard. In the long run it keeps the dog thinking differently about the house or apartment. I agree, don't take the dog back to Mexico, but I would look for a chihuahua rescue group that might be able to help train the dog while looking for a forever home.

      About basenjis, I love the breed, but they are tough to train. First thing I always do is crate train the dog because they can chew up your house while you're gone to the grocery store. They are quiet, but take lots of consistent training to keep them from running the house. They are a hard breed for newcomers to work with.

      Also sorry to hear that Abbey is in pain. Losing our beloved pets is one of the most emotional and difficult things we go through. (((hugs)))

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete